Report outlines company’s progress toward 2020 CSR goals
SEATTLE (June 26, 2018) – Nordstrom today released its annual Sharing Our Progress Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report. The report highlighted 2017 accomplishments and tracked the company’s progress towards its 2020 CSR goals, which are focused on: reducing its carbon footprint, conserving resources, offering sustainable and healthier products, giving back and supporting human rights.
“Our CSR efforts help us deliver on the commitment we’ve made to our customers, employees and communities to do our part to be a responsible company,” said Scott Meden, chief marketing officer at Nordstrom. “Giving back and respecting the environment are ways we’re able to extend our approach to customer service beyond our own walls. We made good progress in 2017 and are pleased to be able to share some highlights in this year’s report.”
Notable 2017 CSR achievements from Nordstrom include:
Respecting the Environment
- Partnered with customers to repurpose 5.5 tons of clothing through its Clothing Donation Program
- Leveraged improved technology systems to decrease energy use per square foot by 13% since 2014
- Updated product packaging, keeping 10.7 tons of waste out of its supply chain
Taking Care of Our Communities
- Made its largest donation through give-back brand Treasure & Bond – over $1 million
- Matched employees’ donation of time and money to nearly 2,500 nonprofits, for a total of $1.83 million
- Provided women factory workers with training and resources to support health education, financial inclusion and gender equality
The report also previews the company’s 2018 priorities . “We plan to continue building on our strong foundation by collaborating across our business to address areas where we have opportunities to improve,” said Meden. “Our priorities are driven by the feedback we get from our customers, employees and other stakeholders. In the coming year, we’re focused on initiatives that we’ve heard are important to them.”
Examples include making responsible merchandise more accessible, expanding its clothing donation initiative, and evolving its diversity, inclusion and belonging programs.
The 2017 report can be found on the homepage of NordstromCares.com.
# # #
Nordstrom, Inc. is a leading fashion retailer based in the U.S. Founded in 1901 as a shoe store in Seattle, today Nordstrom operates 373 stores in 40 states, including 122 full-line stores in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico; 239 Nordstrom Rack stores; two Jeffrey boutiques; two clearance stores; seven Trunk Club clubhouses; and its Nordstrom Local service concept. Additionally, customers are served online through Nordstrom.com, Nordstromrack.com, HauteLook and TrunkClub.com. Nordstrom, Inc.'s common stock is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol JWN.