Nordstrom Celebrates Giving Tuesday by Launching Holiday Giving Campaign and Giving $1.5 Million Benefitting Underserved Youth
Each holiday season, Nordstrom continues our commitment to give back to the communities we serve by helping organizations that support the basic needs of kids and families. We're proud of all our charitable efforts throughout the year, but the holidays are an especially important time to support those in need.
As we celebrate Giving Tuesday 2021, we are focused on four key priorities:
1. Supporting our Holiday Partners
For the second year in a row, we are supporting Operation Warm and Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and Canada as our national holiday partners.
Giving More Than a Coat through Operation Warm
Nordstrom is partnering with Operation Warm is a nonprofit that provides new winter coats to kids in need. Last year, along with our customers we raised nearly $440,000, the equivalent of 22,000 new winter coats for kids in need across the U.S. and Canada.
Creating Meaningful Mentorship Moments with Big Brothers Big Sisters
Since 2019, Nordstrom Rack has partnered with Big Brothers Big Sisters to support mentorship moments between Bigs and Littles across North America. These seemingly small moments can have a tremendous impact on a kid's life and pursuit to reach their full potential. Earlier this year, Nordstrom hosted a career fair in Chicago, where Littles learned resume and LinkedIn fundamentals, how to dress for the workplace and interview tips and tricks.
Last holiday season along with our customers, we donated over $230,000 to support these matches.
Engaging with our Customers
This holiday season, we invite our customers to donate to support Big and Little mentor matches and provide brand new coats to kids in need in the following ways:
- Purchase a Sponsor-a-Moment tag at all Nordstrom Rack stores or a Giving Tag at Nordstrom stores in the US and Canada or at a Nordstrom Local store
- Add a donation to your online at checkout on Nordstrom.com, Nordstrom.ca and NordstromRack.com
- Donate directly to Big Brothers Big Sisters and Operation Warm
- Schedule a $20 virtual Santa Chat to benefit Operation Warm Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and Canada.
2. Giving $1.5 million in corporate grants to core partners
In November, we gave more than $1.5 million, including corporate grants to six core partners in our local communities who serve underserved youth, including:
- Hetrick Martin Institute: HMI believes all young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential. 2,000 youth receive services from HMI every year from 38 states across the country.
- National Urban League: The National Urban League is historic civil rights and urban advocacy organization. They work to provide economic empowerment, educational opportunities and the guarantee of civil rights for the underserved in America.
- United Way of King County: The United Way of King County is a community-based organization that brings people together to give, volunteer and take action to help people in need and solve our community's toughest challenges.
- YMCA of Greater Seattle: The YMCA of Greater Seattle builds a community where all people, especially the young, are encouraged to develop to their fullest potential in spirit, mind and body. It is an inclusive organization of kinds of people with a shared commitment to nurture the potential of youth, promote healthy living, and foster social responsibility.
- Human Rights Campaign: The Human Rights Campaign is the largest LGBTQ+ advocacy group in the United States. The HRC envisions a world where every member of the LGBTQ+ family has the freedom to live their truth without fear, and with equality under the law.
- Good+ Foundation: Through December 31, a portion of the proceeds of Santa Sacks sold at the Nordstrom NYC flagship and Men's Store, as well as Nordstrom Local in New York City's West Village and Upper East Side, will be donated to Good+ Foundation, a leading national nonprofit that works to dismantle multi-generational poverty by pairing tangible goods with innovative services for low-income fathers, mothers and caregivers. Nordstrom is committed to making a minimum donation of $10,000.
3. Encouraging employees to give back
Our employees are generous, supporting thousands of causes with their money and time. To help support the causes that matter most to them, our Employee Charitable Match and Volunteer program matches, dollar for dollar, their donations of cash and volunteer time— up to $5,000 per year, starting on day one of employment.
For Giving Tuesday, Nordstrom will double employee donations as part of the match program. Additionally, Nordstrom employees will visit two elementary schools in New York City and Toronto along with Operation Warm to distribute over 1000 coats to students in need. In addition to the coat donation, Nordstrom will match all employee donations and donate $15 per hour for each employee who volunteers as part of our employee match program. By 2025, we aim to increase employee volunteer hours to 250,000 hours annually.
4. Showcasing Gifts That Give Back through Sustainable Style category
The holidays are a wonderful time to give gifts to our families and loved ones, and they are also a great time to consider the many others who could use our help. Giving back to the communities that support us every day has long been a cornerstone of our culture, and it's something we take pride in doing all year — the holidays are a reason to give even more. We rounded up some of our favorite gifts that give back and invite customers to shop Sustainable Style to find more gifts that align with their values.
Canadian customers can connect with a salesperson to shop sustainable gifts and gifts that give back like Treasure & Bond, tentree, Nudestix and many more, or find details in the product description when shopping on Nordstrom.ca.
Still not sure what to buy? Can't go wrong with a Nordstrom gift card where 1% of all gift card sales will go to nonprofits across the U.S. and Canada. Additionally, our gift bags, gift wrap and gift cards are all 100% recyclable.